Saturday, August 15, 2009

Star of Bethlehem

In my garden grow some 19th century flowers called Star of Bethlehem. These little star-shaped white flowers blossom in the early Spring. I think they may have been planted by Mary Jameson, the first owner of my house, who moved here on her marriage in December of 1861. From the letters I've seen, Mary was a wonderful gardener, and often people who came to visit would find her there, tending her flowers.

For some time now, I've been interested in and used flower remedies as an aid to emotional stress. Upon deeper exploration into these remedies, I discovered you could make them yourself from the flowers in your garden. Last Spring, I decided to make a batch using the Star of Bethlehem flower. I'm not sure if I realized it at the time, but recently, when looking for a remedy to help overcome grief, I discovered the one to use was Star of Bethlehem!

As I've been using the remedy, although I still feel sadness, I do sense grief losing its complete hold on me, and I feel I'm taking tiny baby steps toward some unknown but liveable future. I can't help but wonder if Mary Jameson might have used the flower in this same way. The remedies were certainly becoming known for such use in the 19th century, and who knows what 'folklore' may have handed down regarding their healing powers. Taking the remedy in this way has given me such a feeling of connection to this woman who lived in my home over a hundred years ago, and lost so much herself during her lifetime here--7 children and a husband, and who knows how many other friends and relatives. Death was such a given in those days, and faith alone kept broken hearts alive.

My broken heart requires faith as well. I trust my flower remedy to do its magic, and God to do the rest. I trust the Universe to bring me peace and new love, perhaps some day, even joy. I wait; I tend the garden. What more can any woman do?

No comments:

Post a Comment