Friday, August 21, 2009

This Is My Life

This is a hard place to be, but this is all there is. My counselor reminded me recently that even when it sucks, sometimes you just have to accept that this is your life now. There is a wonderful poem by Rumi...I don't think I've printed it here previously but here in is in any event:

The Guest House

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice.
meet them at the door laughing and invite them in.

Be grateful for whatever comes.
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

-- Jelaluddin Rumi,
translation by Coleman Barks

I live and work in a Guest House, and I accept and greet my guests in just this manner. And yet, in my own life, I try to send the guests packing before they've even had a moment to enjoy their stay. No, I don't want them to stay forever, but the more I try to push them out the door, the more intent they are to never leave. They want me to stay present, to hear the message they've been sent to bring. Often I don't like the message, but each bids me to listen and learn.

This essence of spirit is all I have. Its only purpose in this human life is to reunite with God. I can only do that if I remain open to all the messages and all the lessons, no matter how difficult they may be to hear or learn. I must allow my soul to be the Guest House, and greet each guest with the same love and compassion I would show any guest coming into my physical home. This is the Way.

No comments:

Post a Comment