When life is difficult, sometimes all you have left are the little moments. Even though it may be hard sometimes, I know it's important to find them. I have a little routine, and it hasn't changed that much from the 'before' times; I suppose it's a bit lonelier now than it used to be. When I don't have guests at the B&B, I like to get up slowly, savoring those last moments of sleep, then letting my cats wake me up with gentle nudges of 'feed me.' (Jack, the tabby, is particularly insistent with scratching at the quilt--he's not going to be happy tomorrow, because I just ran out of can food and forgot to pick up some more!)
Once I'm up, it's time for tea and my daily meditation. I enjoy reading Unity's Daily Word (as does Oprah!) and I'm also reading Wayne Dyer's translation of the Tao Te Ching, which I find very helpful in guiding me toward awareness. If it's not too hot, I have my tea and reading on the screened-in back porch, where there's usually an interesting display of bird activity and sometimes a rabbit or two will join the fun. It's my favorite place in the world, and I think my cats would agree, as they spend a good portion of their day curled up napping in the corner.
Today was busy, so I couldn't spend too much time in 'reflection,' but after checking email I did manage to squeeze in a walk before bulking down to my editorial work. My favorite walk is through Hillcrest cemetery, about which I've written previously, and today the weather was perfect. After a work-related conference call, I headed to Columbia for my guitar lesson, which is always a highlight of my week, then afterwards met a friend at a local wine bar, where we enjoyed a nice evening on the patio sipping a new wine from Oregon.
It wasn't a perfect day, because my heart still hurts almost every moment, but I try to just be present and see the good in my life, even if my life isn't the way I'd like it to be right now. My sweet cats are always here for me, the weather is cooler and bright, the wine flows freely, friends give support in so many ways, and I am loved on a deeper level than I'm fully able to comprehend. Life is as it is, and at least I have these moments of peace to see me through.
Wednesday, July 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment