It's fascinating to learn how Christianity adopted so many of the pagan dates and ceremonies as a way to draw in those who refused to give up their beliefs. I never realized that the term 'pagan' actually came from the word 'paganus,' meaning one who lives in the country. So pagans were familiar with the cycles of nature that made life everlasting. They didn't fear life and death as many Judeo-Christians did, but saw them simply as stages of growth. Instead of needing to be 'saved' from life, pagans loved the world and lived with honor and respect in order to create a better world.
I believe the only thing we really have for sure is this moment. If Easter (so named for a pagan Goddess, by the way!) is about hope, transformation, and resurrection, these things are still only present to us in each moment. If we see living as something to be done for some future reward, I think we are missing the point of life itself. Life IS the gift, but perhaps when we chose to incarnate, we didn't realize exactly what that would mean... We run as fast as we can from the difficult parts, not really understanding that it took the 'dark night' for Jesus to find his own rebirth.
The hardest part, I think, is accepting the 'dark night' as simply another part of the journey. Perhaps it is one of the missing pieces, and until you find that one, true transformation will never be possible. I suppose this is what I'm coming to understand.

No comments:
Post a Comment